20-21 May 2023

 Homeward Bound

     We travelled from Faro to Lisbon, stayed the night there, and then spent all of Sunday in transit. With my flight scheduled a few hours later than my family’s, I decided to take the extra time to record some of the things I have learned through my trip. 

    First off, travelling alone is a challenge. It takes a lot of work to create an itinerary, book accommodations, navigate strange places, monitor the budget, and guard the luggage all by oneself. The responsibility felt somewhat burdensome at times, but having managed it successfully I feel more confident in my ability to take care of myself. 

    On the other hand, it is a humbling experience to go to a country where one is not fluent in the language. There were times where I felt like a child because I could only gesture or speak in simple phrases, and in those moments I felt helpless and dependent upon the goodwill of other people. It takes a lot of courage to try to converse in an unfamiliar language, and this experience has given me a newfound respect for immigrants.

    Travelling for so long has also taught me that one cannot escape the mundane aspects of life. Soon enough the novelty of a new place wears off, the unfamiliar beauty fades into the background, and the mind returns to its habitual objects. I visited some places about which my favourite artists have written or sung and which have long held a mythical status in my mind, and I found that, though they were at times more beautiful, they were not fundamentally different from any other place. Often, what makes a place magical is simply our celebration of it. 

    As for Europe, it is certainly magical, for it has much to celebrate. I found myself attracted primarily to its beautiful historical sites, but my experience visiting these places taught me two things. First, the Europe that captured my imagination as a boy is long gone. Its great castles and cathedrals are only tourist attractions now and, for better or for worse, the trappings of modern life are found everywhere. Second, beauty alone does not make life fulfilling. The majority of my most satisfying moments came from meaningful work and social connection, neither of which depends essentially upon their environment. Beauty in itself is a wonderful thing, but nothing is more beautiful than the faces of the people we love.

Rumo a Casa

    Viajamos de Faro a Lisboa, pernoitamos lá e depois passamos o domingo todo em trânsito. Com o meu voo agendado algumas horas mais tarde do que o da minha família, decidi reservar um tempo extra para registrar algumas das coisas que aprendi durante a viagem.

    Em primeiro lugar, viajar sozinho é um desafio. Dá muito trabalho fazer um roteiro, reservar hospedagem, navegar por lugares estranhos, controlar o orçamento e guardar a bagagem sozinho. Às vezes, a responsabilidade parecia um tanto pesada, mas, ao administrá-la com sucesso, sinto-me mais confiante na minha capacidade de cuidar de mim mesma. 

    Por outro lado, é uma experiência humilhante ir para um país onde não se é fluente no idioma. Houve momentos em que me senti como uma criança porque só conseguia gesticular ou falar em frases simples, e nesses momentos me sentia impotent e dependente da boa vontade de outras pessoas. É preciso muita coragem para tentar conversar em um idioma desconhecido, e essa experiência me deu um novo respeito pelos imigrantes. 

    Viajar por tanto tempo também me ensinou que não se pode escapar dos aspectos mundanos da vida. Logo a novidade de um novo lugar desvanece, a beleza desaparece em segundo plano e a mente retorna aos objetos habituais. Visitei alguns lugares sobre os quais meus artistas favoritos escreveram ou cantaram e que há muito têm um status mítico na minha mente, e descobri que, embora às vezes fossem mais bonitos, não eram fundamentalmente mais especiais do que qualquer outro lugar. Muitas vezes, o que torna um lugar mágico é simplesmente a nossa celebração dele. 

    Quanto à Europa, é certamente mágico, pois tem muito a comemorar. Senti-me atraído principalmente pelos seus belos locais históricos, mas a minha experiência visitando esses lugares me ensinou duas coisas. Primeiro, a Europa que capturou a minha imaginação quando menino já se foi. Os seus grandes castelos e catedrais são apenas atrações turísticas agora e, para o bom ou para o mal, as acompanhamentos da vida moderna são encontradas em todas as partes. Segundo, a beleza por si só não torna a vida gratificante. A maioria dos meus momentos mais satisfatórios veio do trabalho significativo e da conexão social, nenhum dos quais depende essencialmente do seu ambiente. A beleza em si é uma coisa maravilhosa, mas nada é mais bonito do que os rostos das pessoas que amamos. 

Pictures









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10–14 March 2023

8–19 May 2023